Director of Community Engagement
Join our team through our newly created position, Director of Community Engagement. We seek someone who cares about helping to meet the charitable needs in our community and advance the Community Foundation’s mission, messaging, and branding while serving our fund holders and donors. We have a small but mighty staff committed to excellence in work ethics and rewarded with high job satisfaction. We are committed to racial equity, diversity, inclusion in both our programs and people power.
The Community Foundation for Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties based in Leesburg, VA, is a highly visible and dynamic nonprofit serving our footprint. Last year, we distributed more than $1.8 million in grants to some 235 charities and offered training and professional development to 365 nonprofit leaders. We work with an active volunteer board of directors to implement a vigorous series of programs within our community for philanthropists, stakeholders, and nonprofit leaders. From grantmaking, to education, to engaging donors who care about community, our mission to Grow Community Giving depends upon helping people understand our brand and feel authentically connected to our purpose with a diverse lens and varied lived experiences.
This position will be open until filled. However, we appreciate your resume and cover email no later than April 22, 2022, as detailed, below, submitted to [email protected] with “Community Engagement” in the subject area.
This position may be contract based or employee based. Consideration will be made for both part-time interest and full-time candidates with a salary structure commensurate with a full-time role at $65,000 to $70,000 per year. This position is contingent upon offset funding and is funded initially through a grant for a project expected to last one year.
The Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It offers generous paid personal time off, a Simple IRA, and is researching health-insurance benefits for full-time employees.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Community Engagement reports to the President of the Community Foundation for Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties. The position’s priority focus provides strategic and administrative support for the Community Foundation’s Loudoun Community Cabinet (a fund within the Community Foundation) providing tactical oversight and design for a Loudoun-based advocacy and community education campaign to increase public support, government funding, and stakeholder coalitions around affordable housing.
About the campaign: the Community Foundation and its fund, the Loudoun Community Cabinet, have dedicated resources to advance community action and opinion on workforce housing. A local marketing firm, Loud & Clear Marketing, has been selected to deploy public opinion polls, focus groups, isolated themes and messages, video testimony of affected representatives such as teachers, first responders, and others who will share their stories on the trials of finding affordable housing in our community. Ad spend will focus initially on social media; additional resources will be sought to expand outreach to print media and if budget allows, TV streaming. An Advisory Committee will convene regularly of stakeholders to respond to messaging, tactics, and serve as ambassadors to the work. Civil and organized interaction with local elected officials will be essential to the role. The Community Foundation’s initial investors, the Loudoun Community Cabinet, will continue to meet seeking updates on the project. The Director of Community Engagement will take the lead and/or support all of these efforts. The Director will be expected to work with the President and Loudoun Community Cabinet to develop metrics and track these metrics to evaluate success of the campaign.
In addition, in a full-time capacity, the position will provide project management for general communications for the Community Foundation as further described, below.
Workforce Housing Community Service and Education Campaign (estimated 50% to 60% of dedicated time)
- Coalition building and support
- Advocacy experience with elected officials through one-on-one meeting engagement, written materials, and testimony
- Coordination with/for other stakeholders to support their engagement in one-on-one meeting engagement, written materials, and testimony
- Support and use of community polling data, various ad response data, and messaging design
- Direct support to the Chair of the Advisory Committee as well as the Chair of the Loudoun Community Cabinet
- Support and planning aid in a Housing Summit (date to be determined)
CONTINGENT UPON FULL TIME:
Community Foundation Communications and Marketing (estimated 30% to 35% of dedicated time)
- Support and manage vendors and contractors related to outreach, communications, and marketing
- Develop and manage brand voice and maintain brand integrity across all platforms
- Manage media relations and develop contacts with media members, influencers, and community leaders
- Assist in the creation of digital, video, audio and print content
- Track engagement across various platforms and make data-driven decisions
- Manage presence through Community Foundation-led community programs and conferences
- Support the budget for outreach and communications team and ensure compliance
- Ensure our diverse community views the organization positively
- Create and submit press releases and marketing campaigns
- Secure media coverage highlighting Community Foundation initiatives and achievements through radio, television, and internet channels
- Develop external publications such as newsletters, releases, email announcements, planned publications, on-line, intranet, website, video, special projects, and assignments
- Create rich and creative content that is optimized for search engines
Donor Engagement (estimated 20% to 5% of dedicated time)
- Develop fundraising and packaging plans for corporate sponsors
- Ensure proper acknowledgement systems are in place for public acknowledgement of corporate sponsors
- Manage and help develop community-based conferences, summits, events, and meetings
- Develop and write email monthly messages for personalized donor engagement
- Support database entry of donor engagement
Specific Skills, Knowledge, and Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is preferred. Additional training, education, or experience desirable related to government relations and communications is highly sought
- Experience in advocacy, community engagement, and general communications extremely desirable
Personal Qualities and Skills:
- Willingness and interest in learning software specific to Community Foundations
- Willingness to undertake other duties as assigned by the President
- Willingness to work evenings as needed
- Every contractor or staff employed by the Community Foundation is expected to possess:
- High energy and a positive attitude
- A dedication to quality and accuracy
- Detail oriented
- An ability to work well with co-workers; especially in a small office
- An ability to fulfill their job requirements with minimal supervision
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- A commitment to confidentiality
Persons working in this position are expected to possess:
- Strong oral and written communication skills particularly related to media outreach and publications
- An ability to use computer software including, but not limited to word-processing, email, spreadsheets, databases, integrated financial applications, WordPress, SurveyMonkey, SMORE newsletter, photo editing (ie, Canva), and social media applications
- Capacity to work independently in a productive manner with minimal supervision
A final candidate will undergo a background and reference checks before a final offer is made.
PLEASE: NO PHONE CALLS