Forward Turn is a youth-led charitable grantmaking program that takes a “forward turn” to benefit communities in Fauquier and Loudoun Counties. Forward Turn is a partner with the Youth Advisory Council in Loudoun County and funded by the S. Murray and Mary H.C. Rust Student Philanthropy Project endowment fund of the Community Foundation for Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties. Forward Turn Youth Advisors consider applications that strengthen positive lifestyles, create united communities, and encourage community involvement in Loudoun and Fauquier Counties.
About the Donors
Children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of Stirling and Murray Rust and his wife Mary Hilton Coburn Rust seeded a permanent endowment, the S. Murray Rust and Mary H.C. Trust Student Philanthropy Project, to create the Forward Turn Youth program.
Forward Turn Grant Guidelines
The Community Foundation and its Forward Turn Youth Advisors will consider applications that strengthen positive youth lifestyle, create united youth communities, and encourage community youth involvement in Loudoun and Fauquier Counties. We have a strong preference for youth involvement in the application process. See more about that below. Here are some ideas for grant programs, but we’re interested in your ideas, too:
- Address substance abuse and eating disorders in teens
- Educate teen users about internet safety
- Offer educational mentoring or tutoring programs for youth
- Teach tolerance and anti-bullying to teens
- Improve school attendance, reduce high-school dropout, and improve teen motivation
- Demonstrate road safety and safe driving practices
- Build meaningful links between youth, adults, and/or elderly
- Abate teen pregnancy
- Help with teen hunger, clothing, shelter, and poverty influences
- Bring awareness and helpful programs for teen depression and suicide
- Support programs that protect and preserve our environment
Grant Making Priorities
- Proposals written by teen applicants!
- Projects that include collaboration with another student, group, church, or charitable nonprofit
- Projects that leverage additional resources, like volunteer time, in-kind gifts of materials or supplies, or that are matched by other funding sources
- Ideas that have high impact with a small grant
Who is eligible to apply…and who receives a grant?
Forward Turn grant applicants may be faith-based organizations, local nonprofit organizations, government groups, and schools serving Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties. We prioritize grant proposals written by youth. However, the grant application may be written and prepared by an adult project leader, but we do require that a youth volunteer and program participant write a Letter of Endorsement and submitted with the grant application. For some quick summaries of past grants awarded, visit https://communityfoundationlf.org/forwardturn/.
Application Deadlines, Interviews and Reviews
Applications must be submitted electronically through our online grants portal at Applications must be submitted by Friday, February 4, 2022, 5:00 p.m. Applicants and the youth endorsing their work must be available for an interview with Forward Turn youth grantmakers. Interviews will take place on the evenings of February 28, 2022, from 6:30-8:00 p.m. and March 14, 2022, from 6:30-8:00 p.m. (you only need to attend one of these dates, and we’ll work with you on the best date and time for you). It is anticipated that interviews will be held in person.
Grant Size, Announcement, and Final Reporting
Grants range from $500 to $1,500 (you must request a specific amount of funding in your application). Grants are anticipated to be announced by March 18, 2022. Grant recipients have one year to complete a project and spend their grant funds once funded.
All applications will be submitted online through our online grants portal at https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=cflf. If you have not previously submitted an application through this portal, you will need to create an account by clicking “User Login” and then “Create an Account.” Once you log in, click “Apply” to view grant guidelines and access the online application.
Contact Nicole Acosta, Vice President of Grants and Nonprofit Programs, at [email protected] or 703-779-3505, x3.