The Ursula Landsrath Animal Rescue Fund was founded in 2019 as a tribute to Ursula Landsrath. In addition to her career as a fashion model, movie stunt driver, skydiver, hotel manager, fashion boutique manager, and real estate investor, Ursula was a steadfast animal welfare advocate. In 2001, she founded the Animal Rescue Fund of Virginia that distributed more than $1 million in grants around the Commonwealth. ULARF continues her legacy and will consider applications from nonprofit organizations serving or rescuing animals in Virginia. ULARF is now accepting applications for its 2022 grant cycle.
- Applicants must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity in good standing with the IRS;
- Applicants must be an animal welfare organization;
- Applicants must be incorporated and operational in Virginia, and
- Organizations may only submit one application to ULARF per year.
- Spay/neuter, Trap Neuter Return programs for feral cats;
- Emergency medical funds, supplies, and equipment for farm, domestic, or wild animals;
- Costs of emergency repairs to organization facilities (unanticipated electrical/plumbing/water heaters, etc);
- Public outreach and education program expenses; and/or,
- Virginia-based regional animal assistance organizations providing support to smaller, local animal rescue or assistance organizations.
What ULARF Will Not Fund
- ULARF will generally not consider funding for wages, salaries, personnel, or training expenses.
- ULARF will not provide funding for fundraising or development costs.
- ULARF will generally not consider funding for vehicle purchases.\
- ULARF will generally not consider funding for animal-assisted human therapy services.
Application Deadlines and Review
Applications must be submitted electronically through our online grant portal. Applications will be accepted starting September 2, 2022, and are due by Thursday, October 20, 2022, 5:00 p.m. The ULARF Grants Committee members will review applications and make funding recommendations to the Community Foundation’s Board of Directors for approval.
An optional pre-application workshop was held on Thursday, September 22, 2022. A recording of the workshop may be viewed here: https://youtu.be/xz5ALlZbSG
Grant Size, Notification, and Final Reporting
Grants are expected to range from $1,000 to $5,000 per organization. An estimated $50,000-$70,000 will be available for distribution. It is anticipated that grants will be announced by December 1, 2022. No final grant report will be required; however, grantees may be requested to provide an update on the progress of their grant-funded project during the grant cycle. Grantees must expend their grant funding within one year from when funds will be awarded and funds must be expended for the purpose described in the submitted proposal. Extensions may be allowed, but must be approved in writing in advance.
Applications are accepted through the Community Foundation’s grant application portal; click here to access the application. New applicants must create an account to log in; previous applicants should log in with their email address and password.
Contact Nicole Acosta, Vice President of Grants and Nonprofit Programs, at [email protected] or 703-779-3505, x3.